Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Once Upon a Time, There was a Girl named Cassie

I have sat down to try to tell this story many times over the last few days, but time keeps doing funny things. I'll have a conversation or clean up a bit and assume hours have passed and it's been minutes. Then I sit down and stare off into space for a moment and when I look up, it's dawn.

What happened. Cassie and I both came down with the upper respiratory crud a week ago Sunday. But her lungs were clear, her fever wasn't terrible. She felt crappy but she was in no apparent danger. I was in touch with her doctor throughout the week, and Cassie declined to go to the doctor to be checked out. On Wednesday she was very tired and slept a lot, only ate a little, and didn't drink enough. Thursday morning she was quite weak but she nibbled on some graham crackers and then went down for a nap around noon. She still wasn't drinking a whole lot, she'd had a few ounces of ginger ale, and I'd tubed her some water. Her nurse arrived and per instructions from her GI, we gave her tube feeds of electrolyte solution and she slept throughout the afternoon. Around 5pm I first noticed that she would open her eyes when you spoke her her, but her right eye wasn't quite tracking with the left one. And despite having now had a decent quantity of fluid, she hadn't urinated since around noon. Her lungs were clear and her heart rate was 108, which is high but not unusually high for her. She often ran into the 110 range. Her nurse left at 8pm and I kept a close eye on her, debating taking her into the hospital, knowing that she didn't want me to and would refuse if she were able. Then around 9pm her temperature spiked to 102.4 and after texting with a friend who is a nurse in the kids' pediatrician office, I decided to take her to the hospital. I called friends to come stay with Walt and when they arrived, we called the ambulance. While being transported Cassie would open her eyes when you spoke to her but didn't speak. She didn't seem to be aware of what was happening. At the hospital they started an IV for fluids and drew labs, and again, Cassie didn't appear to feel any pain, but she started moving her arms a bit and shielding her face, as if the light hurt her eyes. We turned off the overhead light and I was bathing her face with a cloth, waiting for the labs to come back, when her body jerked strangely and our friend David turned the lights back on. At that moment her face flushed purple and David yelled for the doctor. He returned and listened to her with the stethoscope and said she was "bradying" down; we were losing her. We briefly discussed putting her on a bipap machine to see if it would buy us time to take her home, but he told me he didn't think she could survive the transport. So they stopped; the medical staff backed away, and after a few more little breaths she was gone. Walt and I kissed her and told her we loved her and would take care of her cats, that we would see her again one day. She was just gone.

Cassie was born and died on a Thursday. She was born after two early pregnancy losses and there was never a more wanted and hoped for baby in the world. She was the first grandchild and my mother adored her beyond measure. When she was born, they told us to take her home and enjoy her while we could, that she probably would not survive her first year. We enjoyed her every minute, every day. She grew into a strong, stubborn, tenacious, talented girl. She believed that magic was real, that in a quantum universe Hogwarts really exists, and that dust motes were actually fairies in disguise. She spoke cat, and had long conversations with her beloved kitties. When she grew up, she wanted to go to school in Japan with her darling friend/sister Morgan and become a manga artist. She wanted to run an animal rescue. She was so full of life, and dreams, and hopes. More than her fragile body could contain.

Over the last several months before her death, she drew less and less. Her art was her life, but often exhaustion won the day. She was sad and discouraged when she drew and her efforts left blood from her wounds on the paper. Looking back now, I see the signs that Cassie was just getting too tired. She was crossing things off of her bucket list. Her first love, her sweet Max and their adorable romance. Comic Con. Sleepovers with friends. Sundays with Rachael where they spent hours looking at cat videos and playing with the Monster High dolls they so loved. Rachael let her try Sake. Trudy let her drive her car around the parking lot. A boy who called her his wife. The tiny tastes of an adulthood she would never have.

Her last two weeks were filled with holidays, New Year's Eve with six of her friends sleeping over, and pancakes for breakfast the next day. Listening to Welcome to Nightvale when she fell asleep. The promise of meeting Wil Wheaton at Comic Con for her 17th birthday. She died as she lived; excited for what would come next. 

To say her loss has left a void in my life would be laughable. Not a void. A black hole. The big bang. My entire existence revolved around her and her care, and at the moment I feel that her passing took the both of us. Life was hard. It was hard watching her suffer, hard feeling helpless to heal her, to alleviate her pain, to give her the things I couldn't. But I would have done it all for the rest of my life. I would have sold my soul for Cassie to have one day of complete health before she died.

The future is full of possibilities for me and Walt now, and those possibilities are terrifying. I don't want them. Not like this. I can do anything, and all I want is to hold my little girl, kiss her cute little nose, hear her giggle until she snorted, sit with her and look at silly cat memes on Tumblr. We never got to go see Frozen, or the 2nd Hobbit movie. We didn't get to go to Comic Con. Welcome to Nightvale is doing a live show in New Orleans in March, and she would have bounced and screamed (and cursed) with excitement.

I am grateful more than I can express for the outpouring of love and generosity from those near and far. From those who jumped in the car to be at my side, and those who have organized food and donations. Many people have asked what they can do for us right now. Here's what I would ask you to do. Join the Team Cassie facebook page and follow us as we continue Cassie's legacy. Join The Butterfly Fund and help spread the word about the need for a cure for EB. Do something kind in Cassie's name. Hug someone who needs it. Stop and help that stray cat in the parking lot. Add some love to the world, and do it thinking of Cassie. Let her life's work be that she made us all a little kinder, a little more loving, and that she made cat people of all of us.



16 comments:

KaDee said...

Simply BEAUTIFUL. I hope I stop sobbing sometime soon.

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Unknown said...

Beautiful Logan. Praying and thinking of you guys. Ill stop by tomorrow with dinner for you guys.

Ayala said...

nothing but love
and sorrow
and gratitude
and more love to you all.

Vegan Lidl (US) said...

She already sent us a stray cat to take care of. Thinking of you.

Unknown said...

I'm weeping as I read this for the third time. I love you all so much, and I miss you all so much. Cassie's life work was making miracles. And they continue in abundance.

Carolyn said...

I will gladly do as you ask. And though I am a dog person, I will happily become a cat person for Cassie. :)

Unknown said...

Love to you and Walt, dear Logan. I am going to do everything I can to come see you all in March.

Patty

Unknown said...

Simply beautiful, Logan. Cassie was such a beautiful soul! Keeping you and Walt in my thoughts and prayers!!

Unknown said...

Amazing post Logan. God Bless you!

Carissa said...

The love you had for Cassie is beyond evident in your post Logan. I enjoyed getting to know Cassie through Amity, and continue to keep you and Walt in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful thing to read. My eyes are teary for your loss and the love you have for sweet Cassie. I know my Asia never got to meet Cassie in real life but your Cassie was often talked about as Asia was battling her own medical battles. When Asia was scared of a procedure at the hospital we would talk about Cassie. We'd talk about her strength and her positive outlook on everything. I wish SO much I could bring Asia to Cassie's celebration of life, but being in Canada makes that terribly difficult. Your Cassie will live on as we battle our medical challenges. We will remember her strength, her attitude, and her smile. We leave for Toronto Sick Kids on Wednesday and I have already printed up Cassie's picture to take with us. Asia says. "If we didn't live so far away, Cassie would have been her very best friend". Thank you for sharing her story over the years and for the years to come. Your Cassie was such a gift and we will help to keep her spirit alive. Much love, Samantha

Shannon said...

Beautiful! We will continue to keep you and Walt in our thoughts and prayers

houdini said...

I have no words. Yours are beautiful. Sending you and Walt love, and holding Cassie in my heart.

Unknown said...

you keep breaking my heart. our daughters would have been the best of friends, meowing about anime and monster high with each other. oh, the fun they would have had watching cat videos!

we look at cassie's pictures all the time. when someone made z feel weird about wearing her cat ears every day, it thrilled her to the very depths of her little soul to find that there were grown-up girls out there, who loved cats just as much as she does, and wore them too.

zo wanted me to tell you to remember that cassie will always be with you, taking care of you. she wants you to know that her ghost kitties take care of her, just like cassie will always watch over you.

which just made me cry, again.

much love, to you and walt ~ xox

Unknown said...

{{{{Oh, Logan}}}}